Free irrigation management short-course coming
Getting the most value from irrigation water will be the focus of this University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension program. Topics to be discussed include sprinkler package selection, soil water management, and pumping plant performance. Also, irrigation industry representatives will be available to discuss the latest in center pivot irrigation technology.
The program is free but pre-registration is required. Feb. 12 at the community building on the Red Willow County Fairgrounds, McCook. To attend at the McCook location: call 308-345-3390 or email:
Topics of the short course include:
• Performance of a Center Pivot: Describing basic center pivot characteristics, system capacity, and application uniformity and efficiency.
• Soil Water Management: Determining and understanding soil characteristics, managing soil moisture through tillage and residue practices, and using soil moisture monitoring equipment.
• Matching Sprinklers to Soils: Using Web Soil Survey and NRCS information to select sprinkler packages that minimize runoff.
• Sprinkler Package Selection: Evaluating various sprinkler designs for wetted diameter, evaporation potential, operating pressure, and flow rate to determine the proper sprinkler for the application.
• Minimizing Pumping Costs: Evaluating pumping plant performance and determining if repairs are feasible.
• Crop Water Use: Estimating ET, factors affecting ET, relationship between ET and yield, and system capacity needed to meet ET requirements
• Water Balance/Consumptive Use/Limited Irrigation: Reducing irrigation water use by allowing plants to be stressed without reducing yield, deficit irrigation and other limited irrigation strategies.
• Center Pivot Technology/Variable Rate Irrigation: New technology the industry is utilizing to maximize efficiency
• Center Pivot Management: Discussion of activities to enhance center pivot operation including checking for runoff, correct operating pressure, and worn sprinkler nozzles.
Contact the local UNL Extension office for additional information. To register for the McCook location, call 308-345-3390.