Grant Elementary transitions to full-time kindergarten
By Brooke Lutz
One Year Ago
June 21, 2012
A donation from Adams Bank and Trust helped further support the opening of the new MRI unit at Perkins County Health Services. The Adams Bank check was one of many to come from the community and area businesses to help defray the cost of installing the new MRI.
Ten Years Ago
June 19, 2003
Workers began renovation at the old Masonic Temple building, preparing it for occupation by the Hastings Memorial Library. Nearly $3,000 was saved by the effort of members of the library board and building committee by doing some of the work themselves during the demolition phase of knocking out a wall, tearing out closets and flooring that housed cold air returns.
Twenty-five Years Ago
June 22, 1988
Kindergartners at Grant Elementary would attend school all day, every day, for the 1988-89 school year. It marked the first time in the school’s history that kindergartners would attend all day, every day. Previously, they had attended school for two full days and every other Friday.
Fifty Years Ago
June 20, 1963
The Civic Improvement Association worked on getting donations and pledges for the Grant theatre fund. Sufficient funds had to be in possession before bids could be placed on any property, etc. Many clubs and organizations had generously donated but the backing of individuals was needed as well.
Seventy-Five Years Ago
June 23, 1938
Grant was host to a five-room cottage which was on its way to from Benkelman to Ogallala. The house was mounted on a large semi-trailer. The law required that houses and other large objects be moved only between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m., so it was necessary for the house to remain in Grant overnight.