Congregational Church to celebrate 125th on Sunday
By Jan Rahn
Parishioners and friends of the Grant Congregational United Church of Christ will come together Sunday, Sept. 23 in celebration of the church’s 125th anniversary.
The public is invited to this special occasion in commemorating the span of the church’s existence from 1887-2012.
The morning begins with worship at 9:30.
The sermon will be delivered by Rev. Roddy Dunkerson, Nebraska conference minister.
Several musical selections by the congregation and organist Janie Colglazier will add to the service.
All are invited to an afternoon program that begins at 1 p.m. The afternoon program will be followed by cake and coffee in the parlor.
The First Congregational Church of Grant was organized on Sept. 10, 1887 in the law office of Phillip and Batman.
Rev. J.A. Thone, minister of the Congregational Church of Ogallala, had been holding services in store buildings and offices in Grant for nearly a year.
Once Grant became the county seat in the summer of 1888, the recently organized congregation made plans to build a church. The first church building was a wooden structure dedicated in October. Until 1892 the building was used by other denominations since the Congregational Church had the only church building in the community.
In September 1926 a cornerstone was laid for the brick building. Pews from the old wooden church are still in use today in the balcony. In the mid-60s an expansion added classrooms, an entrance and foyer, a library, study and new kitchen.
Rev. Larry Booth and his wife Jo have served the church since November 2008.
The program prepared for the celebration reads, “In 2012 as we celebrate our 125th year, we reflect on our church pioneers, with their stamina and dreams, building our foundation which remains all these years later. We thank God for His guidance then and now as we step with Him into our future.”