Weather Forecast

Click for Grant, Nebraska Forecast

FSA Scoop PDF Print E-mail

Emergency CRP haying and grazing authorized

By Teri Moss, County Executive Director

Nebraska Farm Service Agency (FSA) announced that Perkins County is authorized for emergency haying and grazing use of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres for 2012.
The CRP emergency haying authorization for 2012 began July 16, 2012 and the emergency grazing authorization began on July 5, 2012.  Haying must be completed by August 30, 2012 and grazing currently ends on Sept. 30, 2012. 
Eligible producers who are interested in emergency haying and/or grazing of CRP must request written approval from the Farm Service Agency before haying or grazing eligible acreage.   Producers must also obtain a modified conservation plan from the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) that outlines permitted haying and grazing practices.  There will be a 10 percent annual payment reduction for CRP acres used for haying or grazing under these emergency provisions.   
To take advantage of the emergency haying and/or grazing provisions, authorized producers can use the CRP acreage for their own livestock or may grant another livestock producer use of the CRP acreage.  However, hay production may NOT BE SOLD under emergency provisions.  Additional restrictions also apply.
If you are interested in either managed haying/grazing or emergency haying/grazing, please contact our office BEFORE beginning the practice. 
Additional information is available at
Tax Consequences of Drought
It’s been a few years since we’ve had to deal with the drought related tax laws, but with the recent drought conditions across the Midwest, it’s a good time to review them.   If you are considering tax ramifications from the drought or deferring income, our office has information available to assist you.  
As in any tax situation, each case is unique and the circumstances surrounding each year is unique. The important thing to remember is that options exist and that the election doesn’t have to be made until the return is filed. Please contact your tax preparer to discuss how the elections will affect your tax return.
Crop Insurance and Drought Damaged Crops
Do you have questions about your drought damaged crops?  Contact our office and your crop insurance agent for information prior to putting your spring planted crop acres to another use by harvesting for silage, diverting irrigation from the crops or by abandoning the acres.  We have RMA information available with questions and answers to important information due to the drought.
FSA County Committee Nominations
Farmers, ranchers and landowners are encouraged to nominate candidates to serve on the local COC by Aug.1, 2012. This year’s election is being conducted in the Local Administrative Area # 3.  This area includes townships 11 and 12 in Range 35 and 36; and Townships 9 and 10 of Range 35, 36 and 37.   For more information on COC elections contact the county office or visit our website at
County Committees are unique to FSA and are a valuable resource that gives locally elected farmers and ranchers who participate in FSA programs the opportunity to impact farm programs at the local level.