Elsie’s 125th is this weekend
By Jan Rahn
Saturday marks a big day in downtown Elsie with a full schedule of events to celebrate the town’s 125th anniversary. The activities spill over into Sunday morning for a final gathering of worship followed by a pancake feed.
Besides the many activities throughout the celebration, a special feature will be a time set aside Saturday afternoon when the grandniece of Elsie Perkins (daughter to Charles Perkins who the county is named after) addresses the crowd.
Come enjoy the tribute to this small community in Perkins County. All ages can celebrate with food, games and displays, a parade, dance, pancake feed and more.
Schedule of Events
—Saturday, June 23—
• 7:30 a.m.: 5K fun run/walk; 1 mile fun walk (contact Rachel Hanson 308-228-2121).
• 2 p.m.: Parade down main street.
• 2-7 p.m.: Historical/antique display at Legion Hall. Antique tractor show—display north of railroad tracks. Contact Brad Robertson 308-289-3311.
• 2:30 p.m.: Street games after parade for kids and adults, dunk tank, bouncy house, buggy rides.
• 2-5 p.m.: Slushies on main street.
• 2:30-5 p.m.: Quilt show at United Methodist Church. Contact Susan Hanson 308-228-2457. Open house at Resurrection of Our Lord Catholic Church.
• 3 p.m. Watermelon feed/balloons on main street.
• 4:15 p.m.: Historical presentation by John Osler and Ted Tietjen; “Reflections of Elsie Perkins” by Elsie Hull.
• 5:30-7 p.m.: Barbecue supper. Meat, desserts and table service provided.
• 6:30 p.m.: Pitch tournament at Commercial State Bank. $20 team fee. Contact Jill Pelster 308-660-9664.
• 8 p.m.-midnight: Dance and beer garden. Music by Erin Goings and Victory Underground.
—Sunday, June 24—
• 9 a.m. Community church service on main street (at fire hall if bad weather).
• Group photograph following worship.
• 10 a.m.: Pancake breakfast at fire hall.
Open house set at church
The current Resurrection of Our Lord Catholic Church in Elsie was the first catholic church in Perkins County and will celebrate with an open house on June 23 after the parade during Elsie’s 125th.
The original church was built in 1889 and named the Immaculate Conception. Because of a bad economy the church was sold in 1903 to Holdrege Construction began on the current church the summer of 1918.
The church was named the Resurrection of Our Lord to symbolize the resurrection of the Catholic congregation of Elsie.
The church was dedicated Oct. 8, 1918 by Bishop Charles J. O’Reilly.
The open house set for June 23 is going to include a history of the stained glass windows along with a tour of the church.
Parishioners purchased the stained glass windows and each window has an inscription of the family donating. There will be a pamphlet available explaining the meaning of the design of each window.
Refreshments will be served in the parish house.