The PCHS speech team competed at SPVA speech at NPSP on Wednesday, Feb. 15 and took home for first place plaque.
The SPVA contest, like districts, restricts the number of entries to two competitors per event per school. This means PCHS was able to take only 18 entries. Due to an unfortunate illness, only 17 entries made the trip.
Additionally, SPVA only awards medals and team points to the top four in each event.
The results: Inform: first–Kristin Beck; Persuasive: first–Tori Osler, Callie Meyer; Extemp: first–Trevor Lee, second–Tori Osler; Entertainment: first–Allison Kiolbasa, second–Samantha Snogren; Poetry: third–Lexi Schmidt, Lila Konecky; Humorous: first–Ashley Kemling, Brady Mailand; Serious: first Ashley Kemling–fourth, Kylie Hanson; Duet: third–Lacey Jensen and Rachel Patrick, Lexi Schmidt and Kylie Hanson; OID: first– Michael Dreiling, Jake Sexson, Colton White, Quinton Hite, and Elliot Carlson; third –Trevor Lee, Lacey Jensen, and Rachel Patrick.
Assistant Speech Coach Scott King provided further information about the contest:
• Of 17 entries, students earned top four honors in 14 of them.
• Fifteen entries earned superior ratings (at least 90 out of 100 speaker points in prelims).
• In the nine events, speakers brought home first place in six of them. Four PCHS seniors competed in seven events. As each event has three rounds, these four students performed a total of 21 times. Of those 21, 19 of their performances earned first place rankings in their round. The two which didn’t earn first place lost to other PC speakers in finals.
• Ashley Kemling earned first place on all six ballots in Humorous and Serious Prose while Kristin Beck earned first place on all three ballots in Informative and Tori Osler was three for three in Persuasive and two for three in Extemp, losing to Trevor Lee in finals. • Trevor Lee was three for three in extemp and two for three in OID taking third overall while losing to the other OID team.
• During Prelims, they have 37 ballots for all students. In 34 of those, they earned third place or higher. If finals are added, that number goes to 43 out of 48. Freshman Samantha Snogren earned second in entertainment (losing to Alison Kiolbasa) and Lila Konecky was fourth in Poetry.
• The team earned first place overall with 227.7 Points. Second was Maxwell with 189.8 points.
Just three days after the SPVA contest, the team travelled to Ogallala for the OHS Invite. This meet awards only individual medals and recognizes non-medalists earning superior ratings in the preliminary rounds of competition.
Informative: Kristin Beck, first; Persuasive: Tori Osler–second, Callie Meyer–superior; Entertainment: Sammy Snogren–third, Allison Kiolbasa–fourth, Kaleb Gaar–superior; Extemporaneous: Trevor Lee–second, Tori Osler–third, Kaleb Gaar; Poetry: Lexi Schmidt– superior; Humorous Prose: Ashley Kemling–third, Lexi Schmidt–fifth, Brady Mailand–superior; Serious Prose–Ashley Kemling–superior, Kylie Hanson–superior; Duet Acting: Lacey Jensen and Rachel Patrick–third, Callie Meyer and Colton White–Superior, Hannah Beck and Stephanie Schrotberger–superior, Lexi Schmidt and Kylie Hanson, Elizabeth Krajewski and Taylor Walter, Allison Kiolbasa and Rebecca Johnson, Sammy
Snogren and Mariah Curtis; Oral Interp of Drama: Trevor Lee, Lacey Jensen and Rachel Patrick–first, Colton White, Quinton Hite, Elliot Carlson, Jake Sexson and Michael Dreiling–second.