Top five consumer complaints in 2011
Attorney General Jon Bruning announced the top five complaints received by his Consumer Protection Division mediation center in 2011. In 2011, recoveries neared $1.7 million after closing more than 3,800 consumer complaints.
“Each year our mediators come to the aid of Nebraska consumers,” said Bruning. “Nebraskans should know our mediation center is a powerful resource for them.”
Top 5 Complaints
1. Credit and Financial Services (inaccurate billing) – 582 complaints
2. Miscellaneous Scams (phishing and identity theft) - 556 complaints
3. Personal and Household Products - 339 complaints
4. Sweepstakes and Lotteries - 336 complaints
5. Personal Services (unauthorized membership charges) - 316 complaints
Since Bruning took office in 2003, an annual average of more than $1 million has been returned to Nebraska consumers through mediation.
For more information, call the consumer hotline at 1-800-727-6432 or visit the website at www.ago.ne.gov.