“Pheasant Run” greets golfers with new name and new look
By Jan Rahn
With a new name, new hole markers, new tee signs and new shelter, the golf course on Highway 61 north of Grant has a fresh new look this spring.
Renamed Pheasant Run, the lush green course is well marked with new metal “pheasant” signs created by Zane Vapenik, golf course superintendent.
The course is inviting to all regular golfers as well as individuals interested in joining a league or just enjoying an occasional game.
Other changes, additions, or positive notes besides the name include:
• A small new shelter in memory of John Mathes has been erected on the northwest side.
• A membership crew used donated funds to extend the concrete cart path on hole 8 this spring.
• The Wednesday Women’s League headed by Michelle Buchanan and Amy Kroeker has a new format using team scramble play, which is stirring up interest and creating momentum. New players are encouraged to participate.
• There are two dozen threeman teams in the Thursday Men’s League organized by Jayson Bishop and Jarod Burge.
• New score cards have been designed to correspond with the Pheasant Run theme. Minor changes and enhancements have simplified the layout.
• The new club house constructed in early spring of 2009 has a liquor license and can be reserved for social gatherings. Those requesting to use it do not have to be golf club members.
Golf board president Kevin Poppe said the enhancements should give the course a better marketing impact. Golfers from around the region are invited to enjoy the course’s amenities.
Tori Gengenbach has joined Pheasant Run as a new board member. She joins Jorje Geisert, Jim Kemling, Shawn Stutzman, Ryan Richmond, Brent Turner and Kevin Poppe.
Course superintendent is Zane Vapenik who is joined by staff, Connie Pofahl, Vicki Anderson, Dave Vapenik and Gary Benge. Bookkeeper is Star Kemling.
Leagues and contact:
• Senior Men’s Travel League (Jess Michael)
• Thursday Men’s League (Jayson Bishop and Jarod Burge)
• Wednesday Women’s League (Michelle Buchanan and Amy Kroeker)