Nebraska horse riders will compete June 13-16 and June 22 and 23 in University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension 4-H District Horse Shows.
Competition categories include western pleasure ponies, junior and senior divisions of western pleasure horses, western horsemanship, English pleasure horses, English equitation, reining, pole bending and barrel racing, said Kathy Anderson, extension horse specialist.
Riders awarded blue and purple ribbons at district shows qualify to enter the 2011 4-H Horse Exposition in Grand Island July 17-21 and automatically will be entered into state classes. It is the exhibitor’s responsibility to enter the Ak-Sar-Ben 4-H Horse Show in September.
The annual district shows are held at county fairgrounds across Nebraska. All times listed are local. This year’s dates, times, locations and local contact persons are:
• June 13, 8 a.m. check-in, 9 a.m. show time, Hastings, Elizabeth Maricle, (402) 461-7209
• June 14, 8 a.m. check-in, 9 a.m. show time, Columbus, Tanya Crawford, (402) 563-4901
• June 15, 8 a.m. check-in, 9 a.m. show time, O’Neill, Gary Stauffer, (402) 336-2760
• June 16, 9 a.m. check-in, 10 a.m. show time, Chadron, Scott Cotton, (308) 432-3373
• June 22, 8 a.m. check-in, 9 a.m. show time, Ogallala, Doug Anderson, (308) 284-6051
• June 23, 8 a.m check-in, 9 a.m. show time, Beatrice, Paul Hay and Jane Esau, (402) 223-1384
For more information visit the 4-H District and State Horse Shows website at http://animalscience.unl.edu/web/anisci/anscdistrictandstate4hshows.