Weather Forecast

Click for Grant, Nebraska Forecast

Protection of base acres PDF Print E-mail

Due to the many acres of prevented planted wheat acreages this is a reminder for all idle ground.  Land enrolled into the DCP or DCP/ACRE (Direct and Counter Cyclical Program/ Average Crop Revenue 

Enrollment Program) must be protected from weeds, including noxious weeds and erosions.  

The Nebraska State Committee has determined the following requirements for enrolled acreages that are NOT PLANTED:

HEL (Highly Erodible Land): must meet residue requirements according to handbook provisions.  All participants in USDA programs are required to implement an approved conservation plan on all highly erodible land crop fields as determined by NRCS that they operate and/or own which happens to be a large portion of our area.

Producers need to follow their conservation plan and visit with NRCS if you change your cropping rotation and planting practices.

NHEL (Non-Highly Erodible Land): must have a cover crop and/or residue cover. Fields that will not be planted in the fall need 50 percent of the ground covered by residue.  Fields that will be planted in the fall need 35 percent residue cover until seedbed preparation begins.

• Weed Control:  Volunteer weeds must be controlled in order that only a minimal amount of mature seed production occurs. 

Control of these weeds can be obtained by mechanical or chemical treatment.  Weed control must be done in accordance with handbook provisions.

• Noxious Weed Control: Violation of State Noxious Weed Control Laws must be confirmed by the County Weed Authority. This confirmation should include identification of species and location of the violations. In addition, obtain from the County Weed Control Authority, a recommended treatment plan.

Please maintain proper erosion control and adequate weed control.  

Visit the Service Center if you have concerns.

Livestock Indemnity 

(LIP) Program

Don’t forget to keep good records for animal losses due to adverse weather. The LIP program will compensate producers for losses caused by blizzards, lightning, and other weather events, but we also need documentation of those losses. 

Keep your camera handy. A date-stamped picture is a reliable document that can help satisfy the program requirements for proof 

of loss. Your normal losses will also be a factor in the application, so be sure to document all livestock deaths in your records. All losses must be reported within 30 days from the date of the loss.   

SURE (Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments 


Sign-up is continuing for 2008.  If you had a 50 percent loss due to an insurable loss, please stop in to complete the necessary paperwork.